So, today is my first official day of summer vacation. Actually, it is my only one for now as tomorrow I leave for an educational leadership conference. I am looking forward to it as it will be a great learning experience. A great adventure. I know some
three, yes only three WOW of the people who are going (think many from school districts around here. One person I met at the State Ed training awhile ago. We are looking forward to meeting up and surviving this trip. We are excited, yet nervous. We are much happier and relieved that the two of us are going so that we have someone to help us not panic) However, I am starting to feel overwhelmed about this summer. I had many things planned, but then changed a few of them. The reason, I just wanted some relaxation time. If not, I knew that I would turn into an enormous grumpy cranky pants. When this happens, life is not good! With that in mind, I am choosing to relax today.
This has been my day so far – and none of it went as planned haha. But I am okay with it (so far..)
1. No Alarm Clock Day – I loved it! After staying up in bed much later than I should have (think I NEED to finish this book before the conference) I woke up to my cat staring at me and head butting me. Do not worry, I love him and I would much rather wake up to him than the annoying alarm clock. Also, I did not get up right away, but rather we curled and went back to bed for another half hour. It was nice to get up to the sun shining and not total darkness. Did I run, no, but tonight is a good time to run.
2. I managed to roll out of bed, feed the cat, and grab my book to head out on the deck and
eagerly try to finish the book. It was an epic failure. I was more interested in making and enjoying the green decaf tea, eating the last of my M and Ms from my birthday for breakfast, and just listening to the birds, and people watching. Judge me, but it was much more fun.
3. Take a shower. I think people were beginning to wonder if maybe I was just a mannequin on the deck and they were probably frightened by my appearance in pajamas and medusa like hair. I am happy to say I did take a shower, but did nothing about the hair. Well, it is clean now. It will dry as it will dry – I don’t care! There is a reason why I love wearing ball caps.
4. Throw in a load of laundry. I am starting to panic. I leave tomorrow and nothing is packed, and…… that book is still not finished! Have I finished it yet – NOPE! Have I started packing- NOPE. Hard to pack when the laundry is still going. Also, I am DETERMINED to fit all business attire and everything else into one bag. I have decided I am too cheap to pay for baggage. It is bad enough I had to secure the taxi to the airport and hotel for 30 bucks. I don’t even think the hotel is that far. I will be walking to all venues because I am a
cheapskate person who needs fresh air to feel awake in the morning. Supposedly the venues are only within a mile radius of each other. Plus, this is like a mini vacation/adventure. Actually, it will be good exercise because I know I will be eating bad food. Again, cheapskate. Work is not paying for food (love how they tell you this last minute but at least they are paying for the conference and the airfare. I am told that the “big wigs” will be taking all of us from the area out to dinner one night and paying for it – thank you!) My plan is to pack Daniel Plan approved snacks, tank up at the hotel’s free breakfast, and myself and the person going with me have signed up for the venders we want your business come check out our stuff free happy hours with appetizers.
5. Curl up with the cat while typing this blog. In other words procrastinate. It is hard to work when your cat hops up and just purrs and curls with you. I have learned a lot from my cat. First, it is important to relax. He definitely helps me with that. Right now, he is lounged out behind my head across the top of this chair. Mind you his paws are on my shoulder and he is staring at me like, really? Can’t we just take a nap? I think I will this afternoon.
6. Starting to get the overwhelmed feeling inside of me. However I am trying to calm myself saying “Let it Go!”. This is advice that I give to people, yet then at times I find myself struggling with it. Then people give me my advice back and it kicks me in the ass. Like, right now 🙂
So, I will not panic. Everything will be packed. I will have downloaded all of the conference materials, will have crammed everything into one bag, etc. I have decided that yes it is business attire, but these people should not care about my looks. Also, they really won’t see me again so who cares. I will not iron (why start now haha). If you roll your clothes, they sometimes do come out less wrinkled (camping days!) and you can cram a lot into small spaces. The hotel has shampoo and soap so just use it. Stupid new airline rules with clear bottles, etc. drive me insane. I don’t have time for that crap! I am going to enjoy this adventure and enjoy visiting places I have not been to before. I am going to step outside of my comfort zone and go with it. It will be okay.
I will survive spending the night at another person’s mama’s house because they offered and it will allow us some extra sleep time and it is closer to the airport. I will not panic and I will just go with it. It was nice that they offered. Let your faith be bigger than your fear!! I will survive! I will not have a squirrelly panic attack. I will smile and communicate and be positive. It is one night, so who cares! This person’s mama is actually excited to have company and can’t wait to buy us dinner and get to know me. (Again, I will NOT panic!).
That being said, the washing machine just went off. I will take care of it and then go to the bank to get stuff done. I also will mail out my final mission papers. That I am excited about. That means that it is really official. I have now committed myself to spending time in the appalachians – a wonderful, wonderful time to experience joy, positivity, community, and spreading love.
I will then come back and grab some food and head out on the deck with my book. I will finish it. I actually do enjoy it, but now that I know I have to finish it, I am not having as much time to reflect on it. But, I am sure I will while at the conference.
So, I will relax…….and get work done…..and most likely nap with the cat. Sometimes, I work best under pressure. Right now, it was great to spend the morning relaxing. Maybe I should make a day of it! It may happen!
How is your day going?